Hollywoodbets Greyville Saturday 02 July - #HWDJ2022

• Bob Brogan
  • Bob Brogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Hollywoodbets Greyville Saturday 02 July - #HWDJ2022

1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago
Time to open the thread!

Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Bob Brogan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Re: Hollywoodbets Greyville Saturday 02 July - #HWDJ2022

Check out the entertainment

Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Bob Brogan.

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 10 months ago

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 10 months ago
Danie Toerien
Snaith July Runners

4Racing
Published Jun 29, 2022

One would think that with five of the 18 runners in this year’s renewal of the Hollywoodbets Durban July coming from the stables of Snaith Racing, brothers Justin and Jonathan would be oozing with confidence.

But, seeing that it is the July, there’s no guarantee that they will be in the winner’s enclosure at Greyville shortly after 16:00 on Saturday after the 126th running of Africa’s greatest race.

That’s the word from Jonathan, who describes this year’s race as “one of the hardest Julys in years to pick a winner”.

“You can make a case for ten horses, mostly because of the weights,” said Jonathan this week.

“From a punter’s perspective, it’s going to be very tricky for them and in the Pick 6 they have to go wide.

“The good news for punters is that a race this open will offer value. There’s no even-money shot here.

“Look at Do It Again. He has an amazing record in this race and he’s had a great prep. At 14 or 15-1, that’s unreal value.”

A double July-winner at the age of three and four, the veteran will be looking to add a third title at the age of seven this year, and Jonathan is very optimistic that the “old man”, ridden by Aldo Domeyer, can do it again.

“I really do fancy Do It Again’s chances this year. Very much so. He is at his best. He showed it last time out,” he said.

“He’s also come on from that run. He’s a horse that just keeps on getting better with age and he is in a great space at the moment.

“The closer we get to the race, the better his chances seem to be. He’s just getting better and better.

“He’s a runner that everyone has to consider. If you’re looking for a Quartet horses, it’s Do It Again.”

According to Jonathan, the Snaith yard considers Linebacker, trained by Vaughan Marshall, biggest threat.

“If we look at the field and pick one horse that we would be nervous about, it would be Linebacker.”

The other four Snaith runners are not there just to fill the field, assured Jonathan.

“If you look at Hoedspruit’s Met Run, and the weight compared to what Kommetdieding was carrying, the turnaround of 6,5kg is massive for the margin. At the weights he’s got an outstanding chance.

“He’s an interesting horse because although he may not be a Group 1 weight for age runner, he’s probably the best weighted horse in the race.

“Based on his Met run, it’s hard to ignore him. He’s not a horse you can leave out of the Pick 6. He’s also got a very favourable draw. He’s the kind of horse that races handy and I think he will ride into contention. He needed his last run.”

Hoedspruit will have Craig Zackey in the saddle.

“Justin hasn’t had as much opportunity to run him because his real advantage here is the weight.

“Had we run him in a couple of more races, he would have incurred more penalties and he wouldn’t have had the chance we think he has now.

“The goal was to keep him at 53,5kg and I think off that weight he has a very honest chance. He will give a very account of himself. I can assure you he won’t run badly.

“The draw, the weight, the jockey, it’s a great combo. He cannot be ignored.

“It is also Suzette’s first runner in the July and to have a horse of this calibre in her first ever attempts at the July is wonderful for her. She puts so much into the game.

“It’s been her ultimate dream to have a runner in the July.”

The one question on everybody’s lips is if Jet Dark can stay the 2200m.

“That’s a good question,” said Jonathan, but does he need to see out the 2200? Will there be pace in the race?

“When the pace is slow – and there doesn’t seem to be much pace other than Astrix - it brings him right into contention. I don’t believe there will be much pace and that will suit him.

“Taking that into account, I think he will see out the trip. He is a master of coming off the pace and he’s got as helluva turn of foot.

“One thing you’d have noticed from his run in the Met, over 2000m he was the fastest finishing horse in the race.

“Also, Bernard Fayd’Herb is a dangerous in this race. He’s the guy you want in a Group 1 race. He’s a big-race rider and he rides to the occasion. He’s proven it time and time again.

“Under ten lengths turning for home Jet Dark will be dangerous.

“The draw (9) is ideal for him now. Bernard knows how to win this race. He’s won it with Marinaresco carrying 60kg.”

Belgarion, also a fomer July winner from the Snaith yard, was not in action at the July Gallops last week, with Justin opting to give him a run at Summerveld last Saturday.

“Belgarion’s preparation was a bit different. He came in from Cape Town late. Justin didn’t want to bring him up early because the tracks in KwaZulu-Natal are a touch harder. He wanted to give him a soft entry.

“He will be having his third run after rest in the July. His last run over 1500m was far too short for him, but it was eye-catching.

“He’s got Piere Strydom up.

“If he wins the race? Will I be shocked? Definitely not. He’s a class horse He’s come right at the right time.

“Imagine the dream result of Piere Strydom winning the July again.”

And then there’s Pomp And Power, winner of the Cape Derby over 2000m.

“Pomp And Power has given Justin a few grey hairs.

“He has not been an easy horse to train, but it seems that Justin has managed to get the best out of him.

“There’s a lot of speculation that he might be the pacemaker, but I can assure you that is absolutely not the case.

“He will be covered in the early part of the race and put to sleep. That is the specific instruction to Richard Fourie. That’s the game plan, and we have done a lot of work in this regard. We do believe he will settle.

“You should see a different horse come the big day. He is extremely well.

“Coming into the July as the Cape Derby winner carrying a light weight, he will have a big chance. It’s a huge advantage.”

One thing is certain, this year’s July promises to be cracker.

“Normally you don’t find the highest rated horses in the country running in the July because it’s a Handicap. This is the first year in a long time that all the best weight for age horse – like Linebacker, Kommetdieding, Jet Dark – are all running in the July. It’s very seldom this happens.

“The three-year-olds will have to up their game to beat them all.

“Beating one is hard, beating them all is a tough ask. When the get into their stride, the youngsters will have a hard time beating them all,” concluded Jonathan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ptahotep

• Sammy Silver
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
The Hollywoodbets Durban July is finally here. Crowds are back in full force and so are the thoroughbreds.
Justin tries to equal Terrence Millard’s record of six Durban July’s, but this is arguably the toughest and hardest race to win in Africa.
Justin has brought up some competitive runners from Cape Town and is hoping for a top day. Greyville is a tight track and you need some luck in the running.
Here are his comments on his runners:
Race 1
Butterfly Beauty has solid form but takes a big jump in class in feature company and there is no value - we hope she can run into the money. *Miss Daisy* has a very strong formline and is the one to beat.
Race 2
Intimidator has earned his spot in this competitive race but it will be tough. He’s travelled well to KZN and we’d be delighted if sneaked into the money.
Pure Maverick won against far weaker company last time out and will need to show further improvement to run into contention but is very well. *Taikonaut* will take some beating.
Race 3
Crown Towers has a huge weight but is always dangerous at this track. Hoping for an improved effort after a Gr1 level event last time out.
*One Way Traffic* was outstanding last time out and unlucky not to win. Although he’s stronger over further, he will go very close - the one to beat!
Race 4
Salvator Mundi ran a terrific race last time out and does stay this trip. Has to be included in all bets.
Race 5
Ameena is fair each way value at 16-1
Race 6
Itsrainingwilliam is a reserve runner 1 and will only race if there is a scratching.
Open race where Cousin Casey and Bright Green look good value.
Race 7: Hollywoodbets Durban July
Belgarion is a wild card with the timeless Piere “Striker” Strydom aboard. He’ll be running on strongly - throw him into your pick 6.
Do It Again owns this race and has the best record than any other horse in the Durban July. He’s a legend and is at his very best. He is going to produce an outstanding effort. He’s the champ and he’s the one they’ll all have to beat.
Hoedspruit is extremely well weighted and that is his advantage in this race. He has a fantastic draw and jockey combo which will put him right into contention. He is a horse than knows how to win races and should be respected.
Jet Dark is the best weight-for-age horse in SA over a mile. There isn’t a whole lot of pace in this race which will bring him right into contention. If he stays the trip and is within striking distance turning for home then they could all be in trouble. Bernard Fayd’herbe knows how to win this race.
Pomp And Power has been a challenge this KZN season and takes the phrase “jumping out of your skin” to a whole new level. He will adopt different tactics and be covered and dropped in behind horses. At the weights he will explode when turning for home. Ignore his last run. The stables main danger looks likely to be Linebacker.
Race 8
*Captain's Ransom* just gets better with age and is at her best. She looks the banker of the day. This is her trip and she’s won five from five this season. We are hoping she makes it a perfect six!
Silver Darling is better over further and may battle against older fillies over the mile trip. She’s one to follow and keep an eye on her in the 2023 Cartier Paddock Stakes.
Race 9
Kwinta's Light is a reserve runner 1 and we need a scratching for her to get a run. *Sound of Warning* takes on the boys but never runs a bad race. She is great value and will take some beating.
Race 10
*Warrior* loves this trip and is back to his best. One of our best runners on the day.
Race 11
I have no runners here but Conquer the Enemy looks like decent value.
Race 12
Again I have no runners to close off the day but Lady McBeth caught the eye in her last couple of starts and is decent value at 10-1.

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 10 months ago

Story: Danie Toerien | Image: Candiese Lenferna/Gold Circle

Mike Bass on the July
4Racing

Statistically speaking, it’s very difficult for older horses to win the July.

Since 2000, all the winners of the July have been either three or four-year-olds, with the exception of El Picha (2000, trained by Geoff Woodruff) and Pocket Power (2008, trained by Mike Bass) who both won the race as five-year-olds.

This year, double July winner Do It Again will attempt to complete a treble at the age of seven, while Belgarion, another former July winner, is having another crack at the age of six. The only other “older” horse in the field is Paul Peter’s Astrix, who makes his July debut at the age of five.

With the Hollywoodbets Durban July just days away, 4Racing spoke to Mike and Carol Bass about the chances of the older horses and how they see the race unfolding.

“I’m not sure who will win it this year, but I know it’s very difficult for an older horse to win it because of the weights,” said Mike.

“Generally speaking, the younger horses carry a lighter weight, which gives them that competitive advantage.”

This year, however, is no ordinary year, with the two top-weighted horses both four-year-olds – defending champion Kommetdieding and double Queen’s Plate winner Jet Dark – who will shoulder 60kg.

“Do It Again does have a realistic chance. At the age of seven Justin Snaith looks to have him back to his best. I think. He must have a shot to get a third win,” said Mike.

Added Carol: “The pace of the race will be crucial. And in his favour is the fact he won’t be carrying 60kg. He’s definitely in with a shout. But if there’s no pace, it’s not going to suit Do It Again.”

As for Belgarion: “I don’t think Belgarion will do it again, pardon the pun. He was so well-weighted when he won the July, but this time, not sure,” said Mike.

“Of the old men, Do It Again, is the one to beat.”

The old men, however, face an armada of youngsters ready to take the title.

“This year is one of the most difficult to find the winner because there are just so many horses that can make it,” reckons Mike.

Carol is a touch more committed: “Jet Dark, if he stays, has a huge chance,” she said. “He looks the best of the four-year-olds. The short run-in will be perfect for him if he goes the distance. It’s his trademark. He did win the Champions Cup over 1800m.

“Hoedspruit does have a chance, especially with his draw and weight. It’s what people are talking about.

“Linebacker also has a big chance. And Brett Crawford’s Zapatillas. He fancies it strongly.”

The Bass couple, however, agree that on paper, the runner to beat is Mike de Kock’s Safe Passage.

“I like Safe Passage. I think he’s going to run be a big runner,” said Carol.

And Mike agrees: “I like Mike de Kock’s Safe Passage. But it’s very open.”

• PeterD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Race 1 Miss Daisy and Canadian Summer have the best form but money has come for Butterfly Beauty. While I would be most happy to see the daughter of Elusive Fort win, I think that she has to step up quite a bit to beat the other two.
Race 2 Taikonaut has a tough draw to overcome and his main rival Now I Got You jumps from draw 2. I expect these two to fight it out but babies can improve suddenly and the likes of Raffles and Blackberry Malt could pop up.
Race 3 A competitive race, but the rate of improvement that Airways Law has shown recently means that he could still be ahead of the handicapper. The 3 yo Chollima should also still have scope for improvement and could make the most of a light galloping weight. The older horses are tightly handicapped, although Flying Bull and Shango have hit form at the right time.
Race 4 Black Thorn is a warm favourite and he is very consistent and still on the up. However, Smoking Hot and Salvator Mundi are decent stayers. Imperial Ruby has been way off form in recent runs, but if bouncing back to best can upset.
Race 5 Maharanee and Sweet Pepper have top class form and it’s hard to look past them. Ameena next best.
Race 6 Very difficult race with a number of promising lightly raced horses and some of the better prospects with poor draws. I think that Miss Cool on best form and with the allowance will be hard to beat.
Race 7 This is a very open July and very few horses can be completely ruled out. The key is whether the 3 year olds are close to the ability of last years crop. If they are, then at the weights the youngsters will prevail. Amongst the older horses I think that Do It Again, Linebacker and the lightly weighted Hoedspruit are my top three. However, I am going for the 3 year olds. Assuming that he settles, then Pomp and Power is my first choice getting 1.5 kg from Safe Passage. Zapatillas if he stays is my third choice.
Race 8 Captain’s Ransom is my confident banker. I think that her poor run last year has been properly explained, and this year she will deliver. Under Your Spell should chase her home.
Race 9 A very competitive race and many with winning chances. I am in the camp of Sound of Warning.
Race 10 Another competitive race, where I am looking for horses that are likely better than rated. Xavion is my first choice from Warrior.
Race 11 All of 1,2,3,5,6,7 must be considered.
Race 12 My Cherie Amour looks better than her rating and jumps from a decent draw so is first choice but the value price has been taken. Chelsea Flower and Mel’s Princess have tough draws but could still challenge with some luck in the running. Aisling was rated 93 in December and now runs off 77. If she regains her form she could surprise.
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by PeterD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Scott, KitKat, Sheik, TNaicker

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 10 months ago
Firealley looks a decent ew bet

• Sammy Silver
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
ZAPITALLIS scratched.

Airways Law in

• Frodo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
ZAPITALLIS scratched.

Airways Law in

Wow :huh: Some people on this forum will be extremely happy :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: flydubai

• flydubai
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1 year 10 months ago
My apologies to the connections of Zapitallis. Unfortunate at their expense.

• Mac
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Re: Re:Hollywoodbets Greyville Saturday 02 July - #HWDJ2022

1 year 10 months ago
😊

Sent from my Ferrari using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds