How to open a betting business in Zimbabwe?

• Betseller
  • Betseller's Avatar Topic Author

Re: How to open a betting business in Zimbabwe?

3 years 2 months ago
eramutsamaya wrote:
Betseller wrote: Thank you very much. I will wait for these documents. If there is any more useful information, I would be very grateful. Don't you live there?

No, but i have been gambling there since i was 18.

I don't know how old you are now.)) No information from a friend yet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eramutsamaya
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

3 years 2 months ago
Betseller wrote:
eramutsamaya wrote:
Betseller wrote: Thank you very much. I will wait for these documents. If there is any more useful information, I would be very grateful. Don't you live there?

No, but i have been gambling there since i was 18.

I don't know how old you are now.)) No information from a friend yet?

Nothing yet. Zimbabwe is on Level 5 to the extent that most if not all banks are closed lol. There is absolutely no activity now except people buying bread & meds. Govt offices are closed and the systems are close to manual as most documentation is not yet digitalised. If one is not in office you don't have access to docs etc.

• Betseller

3 years 2 months ago
Are they so bad with covid?

• eramutsamaya
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

3 years 2 months ago
Betting shops gamble with lockdown restrictions
13 FEB, 2021 - 00:02
Investigations Reporter
Licensed betting house Moors World of Sport (MWOS) continues to operate some of its branches across the country in theory as internet operations but in practice having staff continually going into the street outside to deal with the public, thus potentially running foul of both lockdown regulations and of the betting law.

Under lockdown regulations, betting shops are neither an essential service, which allows them to operate at all levels of lockdown, nor one of the economic sectors allowed to operate under level four of the lockdown. While lockdown rules do not bar non-essential and non-exempted businesses from operating, they cannot open their doors to customers, their staff can neither assemble and nor be exempted from movement bans. Thus the owner of any one-person business working from home and dealing with all customers online can technically operate, most not on the exempted lists cannot.

Public space gambling is banned, with licensed gambling only allowed in approved premises. It is this legal requirement that has closed most betting shops under the level four lockdown.

Investigations by The Herald from the end of January have established that Moors continues to operate in a well-coordinated way that allows punters to place their bets and claim winnings at some of their branches dotted in city centres and high density residential areas.

As of Tuesday, The Herald had visited MWOS branches at Gwenyambira Shops in Mufakose, in Gazaland, at Machipisa Shopping Centre (along 3rd Street), at Speke House in central Harare, in Zengeza 2 and Chikwanha shopping centres in Chitungwiza, at Mkoba 6 in Gweru and in Mutare’s Dangamvura (along Tembwe Street).

Most branches would open on alternate days, although the Mufakose branch operated throughout the period under observation.

When The Herald undercover crew visited the Moors branch in Mufakose on Tuesday around 9.45am, the street outside was teeming with punters scribbling figures of their dreams on pieces of paper. Each one of them was engaged in his reverie of celebrations that usually follow gruelling 90 minutes of anxiety, pain and frustration.

They gathered around the bus shelters along Muriranyenze Street, although a few could be seen milling around the closed shop. Punters were not allowed inside, as lip service was paid to the lockdown.

The reporter joined the group of more than 50 punters waiting to place their bets, almost all unmindful of social distancing and masking regulations.

Those without internet access would get assistance from enterprising young men, who charged anything between $10 and $20 to generate betting codes.

Armed with his betting code, courtesy of one of the guys, the reporter waited for the return of the “Moors man”, who had just left with another batch of bets collected in the street and taken back to the betting shop.

After about 30 minutes, he came back with tickets and change for those who had placed their bets earlier. Punters crowded closer, and soon there was pushing and shoving as he called out names and gave out tickets, and admonishing those who had given him a torrid time back in the ticketing office by supplying incorrect information.

He then collected more than 80 bets and returned to the premises. While he was gone, discussions continued under the shelters and in the street on how to hit it big in the betting terrain, and how so and so lost or won so much.

It was evident that some were addicted to the game which made them come back every day regardless of whether they were winning or losing. The reporter gleaned that the MOWS branch at Gwenyambira Shopping Centre in Mufakose was operating like this even before 30 January.

The dark clouds that were gathering all along suddenly…

• Betseller

3 years 2 months ago
Interesting, thanks.
Sometimes a lockdown is stupid. On the one hand, a ban on social close distances, and on the other hand, a crowd of players without masks is trying to make bets ...
If I understand correctly, is there a land-based bookmaker of the same company?
How to open your own bookmaker office there? Does your friend want to open his own bookmaker's network?

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds