How to open a betting business in Zimbabwe?

• Betseller
  • Betseller's Avatar Topic Author

How to open a betting business in Zimbabwe?

3 years 3 months ago
Can you share information or experience on how to open a betting business in Zimbabwe? Ideal with links to laws

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eramutsamaya
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Re: How to open a betting business in Zimbabwe?

3 years 2 months ago
Betseller wrote: Can you share information or experience on how to open a betting business in Zimbabwe? Ideal with links to laws

Its no longer easy. No licences (will be approved) for Harare & Bulawayo operations, so i heard.

• Betseller

3 years 2 months ago
Do you mean online and land-based betting business?

• eramutsamaya
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

3 years 2 months ago
Betseller wrote: Do you mean online and land-based betting business?

At the moment i'm behind latest info. Online business had lot of restrictions from govt..moreso the poor internet service make it difficult for punters. I remember Africabet launched the same online platform used by Hollywood and it wasn't succesful due to inconvinient deposit and withdrawal options (you can transact in branch ONLY using USD). This hinged on banking restrictions on forex transactions/trading and mistrust put by general populace on injecting USD in the banking system. Obviously political factors are key in making investment decisions there..its not a secret the environment is volatile thou plenty of citizens being jobless make it perfect field for betting business.

• Betseller

3 years 2 months ago
I see that you understand this topic. I have some more questions
I am very interested in entering this market.
But I don't really understand what is the economic situation there now?
What phone providers are there? Is there a 3G connection?
How good is the Internet connection and how can we provide Internet traffic? Can a person place a bet via the phone?
What are the specific restrictions on the part of the state?

• eramutsamaya
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

3 years 2 months ago
If granted the licence, the market is very very lucrative. There is no TAB in Zim, it closed shop and not sure it will be opened soon. The country is on level 5 (i think) and no one can go and place a bet and no bookmaker has online platform (not sure of its something to do with Govt not granting online licences). Soccer is very popular amongst punters then virtual greyhounds (cashcow) have bit of share with horse racing. One draw back with most if not all bookies is limiting the markets punters bet on eg on tracks like Happy Valley, Kranji, Meydan bookies sometimes would not offer exotics at all. Lotto is not very popular as compared to SA and rarely do you see punters jostling to strike their numbers for UK49 etc.

There is only 4G thou the network is very bad. Most bookies have internet access wifi and desktop terminals for use by punters to access internet thou these are few and there will be queues to access the computer terminals. There are 2 currencies used, local currency and USD and you only paid your winnings on the currency you laid your bet on. USD is not popular as one has to buy it on the black market (risky) and most punters prefer to lay their bets in local currency.

Like i said ysday, this is the general (skeleton) nutshell of what the market look like but the most important thing is the political side which is very volatile. The success hinges on whether the business isn't affected by the political environment. I would advise you seek a lot of information on this area or rather do a thorough research on this factor.

• Dave Scott
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

3 years 2 months ago
Thanks for sharing your knowledge gents.

As mentioned before the "search " option on this site is massive and we have had many topics on Zim over the years and I personally would think no value of trying to invest there now.

We had a young chap that was a presenter here that went overseas Gareth Pepper (? Not sure of exact spelling) .
We was trying to get syndicates to invest in Zim racing and was selling as a lucrative game at the time.
I am sure the burning issue was how do you get money out if you win?

Feel free to search as not sure if the young man was allowed to use his real name on site? Cant remember his user name

However plenty Zim racing threads .....

• Betseller

3 years 2 months ago
Thank you.
That is why I am on this forum. To find out the details of the market.
I am also interested in other countries that are on the forum. I think I'll have to create a similar theme everywhere.
The bookmaker is not offered exotic because there are a lot of fixed matches. The math is obvious there, you can earn more in a bookmaker than in a sports tournament.

Is the exchange rate the same now? 1 USD = 361.9 ZWD?
How much is a license for a betting business there?
For example, if you start a business in the capital - Harare.

You say the political situation is unstable, but in many places it is. For example, we have our own bookmaker business in Haiti and there is also a difficult situation there. Do you know the law governing this business?

• Betseller

3 years 2 months ago
We need government documents that clearly state how this business is regulated. We have all the necessary betting technologies. We just need a room where we can take bets. And the person who will manage all this (director).
Did bookmakers work there before? If so, which ones?

• eramutsamaya
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

3 years 2 months ago
I will check with my friend and he will send me the documents and upload here. Now very few are working, its hard to access any documentation/ info and the system is almost manual setup. Info isnt readily available to many. Hope on this platform you wil get someone with relevant docs/ info required to setup.

Bt if you setup, the market is there..unemployment is at peak and everyone try to earn a living off gambling.

• Betseller

3 years 2 months ago
Thank you very much. I will wait for these documents. If there is any more useful information, I would be very grateful. Don't you live there?

• eramutsamaya
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

3 years 2 months ago
Betseller wrote: Thank you very much. I will wait for these documents. If there is any more useful information, I would be very grateful. Don't you live there?

No, but i have been gambling there since i was 18.

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds