Profit or Greed HW Scottsville

• alterego
  • alterego's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Profit or Greed HW Scottsville

1 year 10 months ago
Was on course today and was shocked to see the resident caterers were offering a 330ml can of coke for R28, cold dry pies for R35. Fortunately there were private stall holders in site offering the same for half the price. Disgraceful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikesack
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Re: Profit or Greed HW Scottsville

1 year 10 months ago
Is the Veg Breyani still available on course?
Was a winner for sure.

• Thor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
Another way to screw the punter that actually decides to go to the course. Cost price of the coke is R7 max, and that is if you half ass the purchasing of these things. Allow them 50% for delivery, storage etc, then these prices are exorbitant. People should just stop going to the course since they want to charge you for making an attempt at bringing back the vibe to the course. The racing and punting is the primary product, and where they get free money from riskless takeout. And yet, the punter at the course is charged this. Unless they are trying to discourage the lower income punters from going to the course???
The following user(s) said Thank You: alterego

• Craig Pienaar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
lol typical Gold Circle
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tigershark

• Prish007
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1 year 10 months ago
Those prices seem high but have you been to a restaurant or bar recently. Cost of a can of coke is normally more than a beer. The wife hates it when I say I rather have a beer than a coke coz it's cheaper. In Durban of recent those prices are the norm when out. So prices of a coke should not determine whether you have a good time at a race course. It has nothing to do with punting but just the reality of the cost of living. PS I'm at a bar in Amanzimtoti now an a small can of coke for dash is R40.

• Sealegs

1 year 10 months ago
100 percent. Ridiculous prices. They charge upmarket prices for ghetto facilities and services. Scottsville has gone backwards in my opinion. Very dilapidated. They could not have tried harder to make that place less appealing in every possible way.
And it showed, the "crowd" was a around a fifth of what it was a few years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alterego

• alterego
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago
Those prices seem high but have you been to a restaurant or bar recently. Cost of a can of coke is normally more than a beer. The wife hates it when I say I rather have a beer than a coke coz it's cheaper. In Durban of recent those prices are the norm when out. So prices of a coke should not determine whether you have a good time at a race course. It has nothing to do with punting but just the reality of the cost of living. PS I'm at a bar in Amanzimtoti now an a small can of coke for dash is R40.
You are missing the point. It’s understandable as you are in a bar right now.
The bar’s only source of revenue is from the drinks its sells. This is not the case at racing establishments. They make their money off the bets we take. This is not a question of being a cheapskate, its a matter of principle. A mark up in excess of 150% is not justified even with the current cost of living.
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by alterego.

• Thor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
Why stop there. Let's compare the cost of entering a racecourse and buying a meal to the cost of entering Disneyland and having a meal there. All tourists should then change their plans, and rather visit our local racecourses, much better value for money by that metric.

On a serious note though, I can understand why the private stalls may not be as cost effective, they have to pay rent etc, but for the course itself to not offer value catering, for what the place itself has to offer, this is unacceptable. If it was actually somewhere people wanted to be in general, then I would completely understand. This money is small change for most punters, but this is a matter of principle rather than about the exact money involved. By taking a small R100 bet on a race a punter is already donating R30 to the operator, what more do they want? R20 from every 330ml can of coke that I drink?

• alterego
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1 year 10 months ago
Why stop there. Let's compare the cost of entering a racecourse and buying a meal to the cost of entering Disneyland and having a meal there. All tourists should then change their plans, and rather visit our local racecourses, much better value for money by that metric.

On a serious note though, I can understand why the private stalls may not be as cost effective, they have to pay rent etc, but for the course itself to not offer value catering, for what the place itself has to offer, this is unacceptable. If it was actually somewhere people wanted to be in general, then I would completely understand. This money is small change for most punters, but this is a matter of principle rather than about the exact money involved. By taking a small R100 bet on a race a punter is already donating R30 to the operator, what more do they want? R20 from every 330ml can of coke that I drink?
Spot on mate. At other establishments you pay a premium on ordinary goods because you are offered comfort, ambience, clean toilets, safety, efficient service etc. None of which is a given on the racecourse these days.

• Dave Scott
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 10 months ago
Read this in racing post this morning and thought might be worth an addition to the topic

www.racingpost.com/news/latest/the-racec...cost-at-epsom/560037

• TNaicker
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
Pricing should be a function of cost to produce / buy, demand and mindful of ability of your customers to pay for what you are selling...

The pricing at Scottsville seems to bear little relation to (any of) the three...

• Dave Scott
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 10 months ago
It's best to take your own sandwiches. 😉

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds