PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

• Deputy Jud
  • Deputy Jud's Avatar Topic Author

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

1 year 11 months ago
PETITION TO REINSTATE VEE MOODLEY

AS HEAD OF BETTING IN HORSE RACING IN SOUTH AFRICA

TO: Punters; Owners; Grooms; Fans; Employees; Trainers; National Gambling Board (cc); Gauteng Gambling Board (cc); Western Cape Gambling Board (cc); South African Media Association (cc); Parliamentary Gambling Committee (cc); Department of Labour (cc); Departments of Economic Development (cc); South African Racing Grooms Association (cc); African National Congress (cc); Economic Freedom Fighters (cc); South African Broadcast Association (cc); National Bookmakers Association (cc); Facebook; Instagram; Twitter; What’s App National Database; and to whom this may concern;

We have taken a while to get our ducks in a row. We have spoken to many high rollers, trainers, employees, and we believe the right people to get the story as accurately as possible. We are damn sure this is as close as you going to get to understand what went wrong before, and what’s wrong now.

Grievance: Betting turnover is by large the majority revenue to sustain horseracing in South Africa. Since the demise of Phumelela Gaming, a new company entered into an agreement to ensure the sustainability of horseracing in South Africa. Mary Oppenheimer Daughters (MOD) c/o 4Racing were officially licensed to operate, control, and manage horseracing in this country (as we understand it) from 1 December 2021. It must be noted, that 4Racing allegedly shadowed previous management for one year before officially signing in. It is a known fact that 4Racing will declare a huge loss at the end of July 2022 when compared to the 2021 financials, allegedly showing a turnaround of more than R175 000 000 (One hundred and Fifty Million Rand) in losses. Turnovers continue to decline daily as it has become evident that 4Racing are completely out of depth taking on a business that they clearly have very little (if any) knowledge about. The betting department has made no effort whatsoever to turn these losses around. Tote punters, owners and all interested parties will not tolerate this any longer and we now demand that previous betting experts are handed back this division before the illness becomes a terminal one.

Vee Moodley, a 53-year-old accountant born in Kwa-Zulu Natal, was employed by Phumelela Gaming in 2010. During Moodley’s reign he grew tote turnover from 1,8 billion to 3,3 billion up to December 2018. He also managed Betting World who showed profits more than R50 000 000 (Fifty Million Rand per annum) up to and including December 2018 (see latest Phumelela financials). Moodley was also responsible for growing soccer pools from R100 000 000 (One hundred million rand) per annum in 2010 to over R1 000 000 000 (One Billion Rand) up to and including December 2018. It is a known fact that Moodley’s CEO, Rian du Plessis resigned from Phumelela Gaming in September 2018. A new CEO was appointed on 1 October 2018, a 60-year-old white male namely John Stuart. After hearing this, Moodley handed in his resignation in December of 2018. After Moodley took up his new role as the CEO at the National Horseracing Authority (NHA), a Robert Scott, a 50-year-old white male was announced as the new Betting executive at Phumelela Gaming.

Just six months later, losses as of July 2019 compared to July 2018 were alarming, and it was evident that the new appointed leaders were totally useless, careless, and out of their depth. An early appeal in August of 2019 was made by Phumelela Gaming to the Owners Body, The Racing Association, for financial support. It was at this stage when truth hit home and despite Covid putting the matter to death (as we knew it), it became evident that it was dead anyway six months before Covid hit.

The Business Rescue practitioner followed the necessary protocols, and MOD were voted in to take over South African Horseracing. Certain conditions of such support from MOD allegedly included a pay-off to both white males John Stuart and Robert Scott. It’s been alleged that after this both said individuals approached Betfred to desperately try and clutch the sport away from MOD. The offer seemingly grasped the attention of interested parties at the time of the vote on 1 September 2020, however the creditors voted in favour of MOD.

Whilst MOD were waiting for all the necessary approvals, the business rescue practitioner ran the business to the extent that every cent was a prisoner. So much so he was able to show some left-over change (30 pieces of silver, selling the assets that earned annuity income for the company) at the end of the 2021 financial year.

It must be noted that our community are not pointing fingers at MOD. If anything, we are most grateful that MOD stepped in to keep the game alive. Our issue is that the current administration, appointed because of best practice and perhaps with all the best interest at the time, have simply failed to meet the requirements of showing any sign of life or hope, that would satisfy any current interested stakeholders. It is alleged that business partners and family/friends are holding current positions which we were under the impression was left behind when MOD took over. As such we demand they be replaced and to achieve this we insist on reinstating Vee Moodley, who should at the outset have been appointed CEO of Phumelela after du Plessis resigned, and who’s track record in the betting industry is impeccable.

This petition has also come about because MOD were ill advised by the current administration, they sold assets that should not have been sold, and as a result horseracing is hemorrhaging huge losses on daily basis. We no longer have time on our side and we will act now!

Therefore, a group of concerned interested parties, members of various stakeholders in horseracing in South Africa, submit this petition to all those addressed in this notification as follows: -

To Reinstate Vee Moodley as the Betting Executive of Horse Racing in South Africa

Name:

Address + Mobile Number

Signature

This group will be in contact with the details to as to where we would like this petition sent to, for it to be collated. We will be present on all racecourses and in all totes in the interim. May we ask that you please circulate this petition far and wide as our intention is to have all members who are as concerned as we are, complete and submit so that we can save what is left of our wonderful horseracing industry and sport, that we all love so dearly.

We thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Re: PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

1 year 11 months ago
Serious question... Would Vee want re-instated?

• Dave Scott
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 11 months ago
Serious question... Would Vee want re-instated?

I am sure the first time that this topic was raised, my question was "has anyone told Vee"?

This question remains.

I don't dispute the financial statements above and would say the drop in numbers is linked to the 4RACING performance, which is clear to anyone reading the numerous punters concerns on the site.
The lack of understanding what the punters need has not been addressed.

These are very worrying times for racing.and I keep hoping for an upswing but the numbers don't balance.

• Frodo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago
I may be talking out of turn - but really :ohmy:

Of course the problems are clear to see for many - but surely one man alone can't save racing :huh:
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Frodo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charl

• Neon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1 year 11 months ago
I think we can all agree that the problem is much bigger than we want to believe and one person is not going to be able to fix it.

• Deputy Jud

1 year 11 months ago
Guys do you think conversations were not extensive to the necessary role players? Honestly, how do you want us to sell the people down the river? Why would we thumb suck this. Mr Moodley is not a fool, because if he doesn’t plug the hole where it’s leaking now, he won’t get paid his salary at the Jockey Club, isn’t it? It’s a no brainier.

• Over the Air
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 11 months ago
Ag please Deputy Jud get that oak tree off your shoulder concerning race and maybe people will take you more seriously. You want changes in an industry conservatively funded 80% by the pale males you seem to have a problem with.

Your tote figures quoted seem to include international performances and Moodley cannot be credited with that increase. That improvement was 100% obtained by that larney John Stuart and his team.

A final point about the man you seem to think walks on water. The NHA has gone backward during his time. Hes not the wunderkind you make him out to be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylvester, Tomtomq

• Deputy Jud

1 year 11 months ago
Oh I see what you saying sorry man now I understand , so that turnover of 3,3bil included your international as well. So can I ask you what happened after Moodley left, did International revenue disappear? I don’t care if Mr Moodley was only responsible for 10% of the 3,3 billion, but he was the top man that signed off 3,3 billion, yes? Now those two larneys you call them, that took over, had exactly the same elements of the make up to repeat 3,3 billion, yes? Guess what they did, Boom! Crash! Burn! Under The Air I tell you what we do, when Mr Moodley is reinstated right, he will even bring you back to run in the Durban July again. Ha ha. Anyways, listen, right now no owner or trainer wants to pay for a positive in the horse correct? No jockey or trainers wants to pay a fine, right or wrong. Right now he runs the police of racing, I don’t know any happy pale or coloured person who fancies any commissioner of police. You can’t compare man. And just one more thing please, do you know that 95% of punting income is from coloured people (black, Indian, brown, yellow included), please don’t tell us you pale people funds us, the coloureds (black, Indian, brown, yellows) pay for everything from our pockets. You can’t buy a horse if we stop punting man, then you will race for ma’s cottage pie.

• Over the Air
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago
Deputy Jud sometimes it's best to know facts before you mouth off. John Stuart headed up International ie. the business done outside of South Africa. This business has been sold by 4racing to Tabcorp Australia so as such yes it has disappeared.

Insofar as the FUNDING of the sport ie. the supply of product (horses) yes I would estimate pale males are the suppliers of the vast majority. There are many Indian owners particularly in Kzn, not so many coloured and almost no black owners. It is what it is theres no malice in stating what the truth is. Punting is a totally different matter entirely. I am pretty sure that the majority of TOTE punters are people of colour. I would also guess that the big hitters do not punt on the tote.

I'm not going to comment on the gibberish you going on about regarding Moodley it doesnt warrant comment.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Over the Air.

• Flowers

Re: Re:PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

1 year 11 months ago
Jud is a balanced fellow with big chips on both shoulders. That's why he will only ever be a deputy.

Sent from my SM-P615 using Tapatalk

• Deputy Jud

1 year 11 months ago
Once again Under the air I’ve been misinformed. I was told this International business of income you refer to was only sold two years after Mr Moodley left. It took your two larneys six months to drop tote turnover by a huge sum by end of July 2019 that everyone was out of business man. And Please don’t comment on the gibberish about Mr Moodley man and his impossible task at the Jockey club, you really don’t have to right.

• Over the Air
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 11 months ago
Once again Under the air I’ve been misinformed. I was told this International business of income you refer to was only sold two years after Mr Moodley left. It took your two larneys six months to drop tote turnover by a huge sum by end of July 2019 that everyone was out of business man. And Please don’t comment on the gibberish about Mr Moodley man and his impossible task at the Jockey club, you really don’t have to right.

It is really difficult trying to engage with you Deputy Dawg. You really are clueless and I wont bother responding to your unfounded and false statements.

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds