Dog Racing in SA

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Re: Dog Racing in SA

9 years 5 months ago
Dog racing is being very well regulated these days, and everything possible is done to rehome dogs.

Dogs with injuries are not automatically euthanised like in racing

Hey it's not squeaky clean but the legal side of dog racing is better regulated and policed than horse racing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• drdom
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

9 years 5 months ago
There is already an immense problem even in the relatively sanitised UK. Masses of welfare issues with puppy farms with pet dogs and re homing centres are awash with greyhounds.

The horrific stories about neglect or cruelty with ex racehorses is nothing compared to the dog racing industry but is just not as well advertised.

Any time money is to be made out of an animal at low cost it's an automatic attractant to pitiless scum of the earth...all industries included. Just don't even consider it, it cannot ever be controlled adequately to justify it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr hawaii

• Tigershark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

9 years 5 months ago
I would not even consider Dog Racing in SA until Horse Racing in SA was sorted out which means it should never happen :P

SA Horse Racing is crying out for the controls they have in Hong Kong......

• Harris
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Re: Re: Dog Racing in SA

9 years 2 weeks ago
Australian authorities are vowing a crackdown on the greyhound racing industry after at least 55 dog carcasses were found dumped in Queensland bush.

At a press conference Thursday, Queensland Police Minister Jo-Ann Miller described the discovery, which followed a tip-off from a member of the public, as sickening.

"What I believe has happened here has been the mass murder of 55 greyhounds outside of Bundaberg," she said.

She promised a zero tolerance approach to animal abuse.

"The people who have perpetrated this crime, to me, are oxygen thieves, they are cowards and they are pathetic."

Detective Superintendent Mark Ainsworth said the crime scene was "nothing short of abhorrent."

"Some of the greyhounds were in different states of decay and that would sort of indicate to us that they've been dumped there over varying periods of time," he said.

"The postmortem will reveal the cause of death of these dogs. However I will comment that a number of spent .22 cartridge shells were found in the vicinity."

He said there had been a number of bushfires in the area surrounding the dumping site, which would also be factored into the investigation.

Michael Beatty, spokesman for animal charity the RSPCA, which is assisting police in their investigation, said it appeared the dogs would have been culled by people involved in greyhound racing.

"There's always been a lot of wastage in the greyhound industry," he said in a statement.

"The indications are that these may just be young dogs that didn't have the speed, basically. But that's really all we know."

Australia's greyhound racing industry has been under intense scrutiny since a television investigation revealing the illegal use of live bait in training dogs aired on the national ABC network in February.

The investigation showed footage of trainers fixing live possums, piglets and rabbits to lures to be chased and mauled to death by dogs, prompting a wave of bans and suspensions from the sport.

Australians wager AU$4 billion ($3.03 billion) a year on greyhound racing, according to the ABC report.

Ainsworth said the Queensland police had established a joint taskforce with the RSPCA to investigate the industry in the wake of the report.

Eight people had been arrested and more than 30 charges of animal cruelty laid so far.

"We've not even tipped the iceberg as yet," he said, appealing for those involved in the industry to come forward.

"You know who you are, you know what you've been involved in, and now is the time to stand up and be counted," he said.

"It will only be a matter of time before we get around to knocking on everyone's door."

Racing Queensland did not respond to a request for comment.

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Re: Re: Dog Racing in SA

9 years 2 weeks ago
You can never make allowances for bad apples and no excuses, but these people are in their 70`s and most of the dogs have been dead for decades

When i first got involved in dog racing nearly all racing dogs were put to sleep when their careers were finished

• CnC 306
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago
I don't bet on dogs , never have and never will. They are just a commodity and when they are done they just get thrown out like a bag of rubbish. A small percentage get re homed. SA would be making a grave mistake if they introduce dog racing to SA.

For those who don't want dog racing in SA get petitions running and get as many signatures as you can.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by CnC 306.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dellboy

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

9 years 2 weeks ago
Chicken what do you think happens to the 100`s and 1000`s of horses that disapear each year...?

The exact same thing

What happens to horses that are exported to the Island?
what happens to the horses that run in hong kong?
what happens to the 40 rated runner that has a dodgy back in kimberley?

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

9 years 2 weeks ago
Every month the nhra posts a news letter that shows the deceased animals on it

• CnC 306
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago
Bob I have seen what happens to these dogs (fortunately not with my own eyes) pics, stories etc. As for the horses we all know that lots are used for glue, horsemeat for both human and animal consumption. Very few are shot in the head and dumped in an empty field. Its not actual dog racing that I am against but what happens to them after.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by CnC 306.

• Craig Eudey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

9 years 2 weeks ago
There have been horrific pictures of dogs been hung in trees in forests and tied to stakes in the sea at low tide and drown when the tide comes in. Anybody can kill/get rid of a dog that is slow or unwanted. It is not so easy with a horse. I agree with CnC. It is what happens after racing and to the slow ones that worries me.

Time to create page: 0.453 seconds