• Sylvester
  • Sylvester's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #764624 by Sylvester
Sylvester created the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
did not seem to happy with Torrent run in race 3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #764625 by MissT
MissT replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
Yeah Sly cant make out who's side he is on??? But clearly having a dip which seems a little unprofessional whichever side he chooses. His son clearly pointed out that Torrent barrier trial was not working out and the race proved him correct. So not sure what that was all about. Just didnt sound good imo.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #764628 by harry hotspur
harry hotspur replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
His son tipped torrent on the show this morning and showed the barrier trial replay..Time for change

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #764631 by Hurley
Hurley replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
my take... the principal proponent of the trials and him aren't the best of buddies
that has been my impression for a while

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #764632 by MissT
Yes Harry he did tip it this morning but his pre race summary he clearly changed his mind pointing out that horses behind him in the barrier trial had all run poorly since. Whichever way you look at it the barrier trials are more confusing than helpful imo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylvester

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #764639 by PC
PC replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
Recall Shaun Veale "warning" punters to be weary of Barrier Trials. He wasn't very diplomatic about it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: the hawk

• Dave Scott
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #764653 by Dave Scott
Dave Scott replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
We have massive threads on the site with pros and cons which were regarded as nonsense and that barrier trials were the answer to our prayers and did not warrent further air time.

I had numerous inputs via site and by email to suggest the possible flaws

1) to show a horse looks a cert next time on the track to inflate price to a naive buyer
2) to hold back horses that are flying machines to get a decent price

A great suggestion was to make the trial transparent was to use the finishing places help qualify when entering a maiden to ensure you get preference over other nominations
The following user(s) said Thank You: louisg

• neigh
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #764677 by neigh
neigh replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
Dave just scrap the shit !! Why even try and correct an absolute waste of time ?

• the hawk
  • Away
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #764679 by the hawk
the hawk replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
Every one is entitled to a view but amazing that racing in Hong Kong; Australia; New Zealand and other racing jurisdictions would not prosper without Barrier Trials. That said, I think we can improve the relevance of our Trials by tightening the rules a bit.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #764683 by Thor
Thor replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
I'm just curious about why the person being paid to commentate on the race being run thinks that the "experts" need to justify anything to him..

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #764684 by MissT
At last!! Well said Thor.

• neigh
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #764686 by neigh
Who are these "experts" you are referring to ?

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #764687 by BATMAN
BATMAN replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials

the hawk wrote: Every one is entitled to a view but amazing that racing in Hong Kong; Australia; New Zealand and other racing jurisdictions would not prosper without Barrier Trials. That said, I think we can improve the relevance of our Trials by tightening the rules a bit.

Agree fully,I still find them useful, rules need to be in place.I remember years ago in the 90, s the barrier trial at milnerton racecourse,some horse had to do more than one trial to qualify to run.For example the trial that durban had yesterday where only two horses showed a time of just under 60 second for 1000 m Scottsville,and the rest of the field showed between 61 and 77 seconds for 1000 meters sprint.The 61 and up should have to do another trial as according to times they are not ready.
Job and cpt need them.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #764688 by Biggie626
Biggie626 replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
Probably want my "Expert" opinion
B) B) B)

If a 2year old runs 1st/2nd/3rd/4th (under 3 to 4 lengths) to merit rated runners in a barrier trail,the 2year old has a good chance of finishing in the placings or winning on Race day

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: that is how I look at barrier trails :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Biggie626.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #764689 by Thor
Thor replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials

neigh wrote: Who are these "experts" you are referring to ?

If you caught the post race summary by the commentator to which this post refers, his comments were something like the following - Right, can all those experts out there please come and talk to me about the barrier trials, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the horse needs 2-3 runs (I stand to be corrected on the number). And then he called once more for the experts to please come and talk to him. This entire thing was due to Torrent not running very well yesterday.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Thor. Reason: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: neigh

• Bob Brogan
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #764690 by Bob Brogan
Bob Brogan replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
Wonder what price Sheldon does the july

......................................................................................................................................

www.africanbettingclan.com

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #764692 by Muhtiman
Muhtiman replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials

Thor wrote:

neigh wrote: Who are these "experts" you are referring to ?

If you caught the post race summary by the commentator to which this post refers, his comments were something like the following - Right, can all those experts out there please come and talk to me about the barrier trials, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the horse needs 2-3 runs (I stand to be corrected on the number). And then he called once more for the experts to please come and talk to him. This entire thing was due to Torrent not running very well yesterday.

.....clearly having a go at the trainer of Torrent....who just happens to be the biggest advocate of BT....:whistle:

My idea of "help from above" is a sniper on the roof
and a higher power is a hell fire missile armed drone.

• neigh
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #764696 by neigh
Thanks Thor for clearing that up. My take is, if the commentator, cant read barrier trial form who can ? Punters ? Owners ? In SA BT's are an absolute waste of time and money. They have been introduced by certain people for their own gain, under the auspices of helping the punter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muhtiman

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #764720 by Sealegs
Sealegs replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
Nothing's wrong with Craig's comments. In fact he's spot on. And anybody who disagrees, kindly explain how to interpret or find the value of a barrier trial performance.

Ofcourse it's a great idea in theory, but without proper controls or measures, it's a waste of time.

Lastly, how is the value of barrier trials,to all parties concerned, being measured currently??......thought so.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #764802 by the good
the good replied the topic: KZN commentator has a go at Barrier trials
I like Barrier trails and it has nothing to do with my friendship with Paul Laff.
They give the racegoer a chance to see the horse before he has a competitive run.
They give the punter a chance to see the action and maturity of the horse.
They give the horse a soft introduction to racing. This includes the full racing experience.
The horse in question ,Torrent , Did not get a good start and was bumped by the horse on its outside. This cost her ground and she never seemed comfortable in the race after that. Write her off at your peril!
In a nutshell there are far more positives in giving the public a chance to see the horses perform than there are negatives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hurley

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds

About A.B.C

African Betting Clan is established for the upliftment of the sports punter, who enjoys a bet on horseracing, football and other sports, enabling them to voice their views and opinions on all aspects of the sport of their choice, free of charge. Everyone who joins the CLAN, can discuss a multitude of sports events with a view to increasing the knowledge-base of all interested parties. Horse Racing is by far the most represented sport and we welcome the views of the many owners, trainers, punters and all racing stakeholders, all of whom post their contributions on our discussion forums. Members glean what they want to and discuss selections for the day and the general well being of the sport.

Get in touch

Contact Details

Main Office (HQ)
Box 40390 moreleta park, Pretoria 0044
+27 827854357

Events

October 2019
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26