pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting

• Sylvester
  • Sylvester's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #750989 by Sylvester
Sylvester created the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
Something wrong when the numbers are so poor.

TAB has a major challenge to get its bread and butter punters back to punting on SA horses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751042 by manwatweet
manwatweet replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
Is it possible that more money is wagered on the P6 with bookmakers than the TAB pool?

As jy dom is moet jy slim wees
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sweet Coetzee

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751045 by Muhtiman
Muhtiman replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
......not more money than the tote.....but a fair number of big perm players and syndicates are going for the open bet option.....but this is not the only reason that the tote is suffering.....they are totally missing their target market ......:oops:

My idea of "help from above" is a sniper on the roof
and a higher power is a hell fire missile armed drone.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751056 by Over the Air
Over the Air replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting

manwatweet wrote: Is it possible that more money is wagered on the P6 with bookmakers than the TAB pool?

I doubt theres more money punted on the ooen bet but I bet its significant. I play all my exotics on the open bet and my churn is low six figures every year.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751057 by manwatweet
manwatweet replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
Ok, so what will happen if everyone wagers on the open bet and nobody in the tote pools?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751058 by Dave Scott
Dave Scott replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
Then there would be a problem in establishing a payout ?
It would suit the bookmakers if they were holding millions and tote dividends based on thousands

Going back in time was always surprised that the tote losts its case vs intellectual property??
The following user(s) said Thank You: manwatweet

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751059 by Muhtiman
Muhtiman replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting

Over the Air wrote:

manwatweet wrote: Is it possible that more money is wagered on the P6 with bookmakers than the TAB pool?

I doubt theres more money punted on the ooen bet but I bet its significant. I play all my exotics on the open bet and my churn is low six figures every year.

....bookies must be happy....my mate punts away an average R100K a month with his bookie.....and when he wins all his straight win bets.....are invested with mostly losing P6 that goes straight home with his bookie.....:sick:

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751060 by Over the Air
Over the Air replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
Clearly will result in samaller pools. Realistically that cannot happen as the tote will always pick up the mug money

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751061 by Muhtiman
.....funny story...... PGL guys comped this guy and his whole family to last years Met....and he does not play a zak with them or any of their affiliates....:S

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751062 by manwatweet
I think the bookmakers already have the millions and TAB the thousands..............

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751063 by Muhtiman
....the open bet for the bookie is a licence to print money.....those mugs that traditionally fed tote pools are now feeding bookies....I would say as much as 66% of horse race punters play open bets.....however not all that % play P6 .... but the exodus from tote betting is still growing.....:unsure:

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #751066 by Alcaponee
Alcaponee replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting

Lets wait and see what the July pools look like. From memory the marks were hit easily last year.

I would like to see what total pools year on year look like for the Met. With the introduction of more betting options Bi pot and now the Racing Roulette I would guess these would dumb down the traditional options. I would hazard to go a bit further and suggest overseas options also sucking the life out of local pools.

Have you ever wondered why fancy restaurants have a limited option over the run of the mill restaurant that offers everything from steak, fish to pizza? Well the limited menu offering generates more money and bang for buck than the something for everyone option! Quality is better too as they are focused and not trying to be all things to all man!
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Alcaponee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: louisg

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751067 by Muhtiman
....winning one battle and losing 364.....is never going to win any war.....:blush:

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751072 by Alcaponee
Alcaponee replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
How much money going into Soccer 1, 4, 6,10 &13 too? What is the take out on that bet and does the money make it back into racing?

• onlyinthiscountry
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751078 by onlyinthiscountry
onlyinthiscountry replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
It really is simple, it’s all going to bookies and it’s a huge problem. If you asked someone like Hollywood to show their numbers , you would be shocked! I’m from the younger generation and all my mates punt , and they mainly punt sport, but they also like to taking pick sixes etc . With the massive bonuses bookies give and the convenience of being able to do it all on one platform, why would anyone use the tote anymore. None of my mates will ever bet on the tote besides if they at the course.

Basically in the future bookies will need to come to the party or horse racing won’t be feasible .

• Dean321
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751083 by Dean321
Dean321 replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
Very simple here.

Average joe has no online bookmaker account nor does he have a tab online account.

Will Joe drive around looking for a tab outlet or perhaps Hollywood?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751127 by Tony Mincione
Tony Mincione replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting

manwatweet wrote: Ok, so what will happen if everyone wagers on the open bet and nobody in the tote pools?

Perhaps they turn down the take-out from the MAXIMUM legally permissible; get a bit more competitive and less rape-y?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751128 by Dave Scott
Dave Scott replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
Its an interesting topic and not sure if the bookies just sit on all the open bets or take percentage with the tote?
I remember in the good old days we used to get a percentage from the tote for taking their tote bets, maybe that percentage could be increased?
Do the bookies that are in partnership with tote do the open bet? Or is it straight into the tote pool ?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #751129 by Tony Mincione
Tony Mincione replied the topic: pick 6 pool failure nearly 20% below estimate stand alone meeting
What I find the most interesting is that this topic is mostly discussed by punters.

It's weird because it's like Woolies customers standing in the queue worrying about the dividend that the Woolworths shareholders will be getting, and not at all worried about the length of the queue.

I know a few punters too, and either they know nothing like my kids and play on the tote at the Met or whatever, or the know something and don't go anywhere near a tote. As for online, do one deposit and withdrawal and you will be done with the tote. The tote is bigger than all the bookmakers together, but the worst bookie is better than the tote. Anyone disagree?

I suppose some punters realize playing the tote is like paying tax, you want roads and schools and hospitals. Just here you have toll roads and speed traps, private health insurance and private schools. So I mean, where is the value for money on the tote? Or service? Or protection? Or anything? So you pay more and get less.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Tony Mincione.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #751135 by Dave Scott
Its probably more in the interest of owners rather than the average punter to improve the situation with the RA asking the questions?

Time to create page: 0.355 seconds

About A.B.C

African Betting Clan is established for the upliftment of the sports punter, who enjoys a bet on horseracing, football and other sports, enabling them to voice their views and opinions on all aspects of the sport of their choice, free of charge. Everyone who joins the CLAN, can discuss a multitude of sports events with a view to increasing the knowledge-base of all interested parties. Horse Racing is by far the most represented sport and we welcome the views of the many owners, trainers, punters and all racing stakeholders, all of whom post their contributions on our discussion forums. Members glean what they want to and discuss selections for the day and the general well being of the sport.

Get in touch

Contact Details

Main Office (HQ)
Box 40390 moreleta park, Pretoria 0044
+27 827854357

Events

April 2019
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27