• Muhtiman
  • Muhtiman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #745752 by Muhtiman
Muhtiman created the topic: Eskom Eish
....recently upgraded the Flat Screen, Air conditioner and a new couch....when I should have got solar panels and new battery for the UPS.....because I just got load shredded.....:S

My idea of "help from above" is a sniper on the roof
and a higher power is a hell fire missile armed drone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745817 by Garrick
Garrick replied the topic: Eskom Eish
You are not wrong, Muhtiman!

Happily the cost of 'getting off the grid' completely is about half of what it cost 5 years ago so is probably well worth considering @ about R200k for a proper setup.

That may look a little expensive initially but when you consider that you may well be driving an electric car in the future and that electricity will cost at least 52% more in 36 months time when Eskom have forced through their recently authorised increases then 'off the grid' is certainly a proposition if you can amortise the outlay over 10 years.

I have occupied the same home for 25 years so can tell you that when I moved in I spent about R70 pm on electricity. My 200L geyser ran 24/7, I used the oven and even took baths!

Today we NEVER use the oven, shower only & actually manage quite comfortably (2x people) off a 50L hot water cylinder which is only switched on 10 minutes before showering. In addition all water consuming appliances have been replaced by units that are more water & energy efficient. Despite all of that my monthly power bill remains steady at about R1800 pm; so by my estimate it should be approximately R2,750 pm in the calculable future (36 months).

Add your power bill to your petrol spend and 'off grid' appeals.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745819 by Sylvester
Sylvester replied the topic: Eskom Eish
Eskom have just helped South Africa commit financial or Economic suicide. all the good work done by the president and his investment team down the tubes in a few days.
I dont even think ESKOM are producing 1980s level of electricity and still cant cope with the capacity and that after borrowing 400 billion rand in the last few year.

i have an inverter system with 9 solar panels and 16 batteries connected ( these have a life span of 3 -5 years so be aware of that maintenance cost) . i don't call this off the grid because if my system hase a fault i switch back to ESKOM, but in times where they have genuine issues or load shedding my life goes on relatively unhindered.
i have replaced my geysers with Gas heaters gas lasts about 3-4 months.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745821 by gg
gg replied the topic: Eskom Eish
Applied for a bigger transformer last year to keep the business going ,
Paid the extra deposit and installation cost in Nov 2017 and still waiting up to now for it to be done !!!

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745822 by Muhtiman
Muhtiman replied the topic: Eskom Eish
.....during the last forced electricity crisis designed to bleed the consumer and the treasury but was actually the biggest fraud committed that still has not been properly investigated ....I too invested in a system of inverters yet scrimped on poor quality batteries which were not really designed for long term storage.....they are now kaput and need to be replaced.....fortunately I had converted to gas years ago but have toyed with going semi solar.....however have learned that solar panels are a high demand black market item and a target for thieves who steal and trade them faster than flat screens......:S

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745834 by moose
moose replied the topic: Eskom Eish
Go on to this website www.waterpower4all.com
Now we have spoken to Eskom regarding this cheap method of power for some reason they don't understand the maths and will not support us. We can build a 10kw plant for about R300K
If you are interested please contact me

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745840 by Muhtiman

moose wrote: Go on to this website www.waterpower4all.com
Now we have spoken to Eskom regarding this cheap method of power for some reason they don't understand the maths and will not support us. We can build a 10kw plant for about R300K
If you are interested please contact me

.....the math will only work fine if you were a Gupta.....:oops:

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745856 by Dave Scott
Dave Scott replied the topic: Eskom Eish
The running of Eskom is a disgrace and was once a well run slick operation, when preventive maintenance became a nice to have rather than essential, that was the start of the downfall.

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745858 by Muhtiman
....ESCOM was never well run.....in the old days yes it was very slick....those boertjies really started the thieving rot....just that it was well protected and many got filthy rich on the spin off of tenders and coal contracts....yes well managed and one got what one paid for.....sickening is the thieving got worse in the new dispensation and openly public and taxation money was squandered in even more epic proportions
.....so very sad that it is greedy thieving has put us all in a mess....:sick:

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745866 by Dave Scott
Our power just went off ! Again for a few hours
Talk later about all the good tradesmen that took packages
:( :(

• Bob Brogan
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745870 by Bob Brogan
Bob Brogan replied the topic: Eskom Eish
*ESKOM LOADSHEDDING IS NO COINCIDENCE* as there are only a few hours left to have your say on Electricity price increase application. Eskom has applied for a further substantial increase in tariffs to recover their shortfall in sales projections. According to the law, the National Energy Regulator (NERSA) must ask for input from the public before granting any increase. We do not have much time to send comments or suggestions as the closing date is midnight tonight. So please click the link below to have your say now. eeco.co.za/eskom-increase-request/

*COPY AND PASTE THIS INTO ALL YOUR GROUPS AND CONTACTS - TIME IS RUNNING OUT*

......................................................................................................................................

www.africanbettingclan.com

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745871 by Dave Scott
We stayed at a restaurant waiting for our power to come back on until they were also cut off .....

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745877 by Muhtiman
....pure and plain extortion ....now electricity has become another luxury just like petrol and food...:dry: .....phukem going to return the couch and flat screen to get the solar panels and batteries....during that Gupta era they installed cumbersome monitoring devices on the outside distribution boxes at huge costs that never even worked(they planned to control excess usage by remote shut off but found that mass load shedding had a better effect)..... then they later installed smaller devices inside.... and this little device also acts as a meter and automatically sends readings via cell SSD to them for billing....the bills are still never accurate....and to top it all, we still get paid ESCOM contractors wanting to read the non existent external meters that were removed and replaced by this new system....:S

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #745943 by TNaicker
TNaicker replied the topic: Eskom Eish
I read somewhere that all solar items need to be registered (and payment made to municipality for them) so one is never totally off-grid...:( :unsure:

“I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again” Stephen Grellet

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #746031 by Dave Scott
Our power went off at 11.00 this morning went past pub for a charge (in more ways than one ) and power went off 13.00 :angry: :angry:

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #746040 by Saint Tropez
Saint Tropez replied the topic: Eskom Eish
Absolute shambles and disgrace!!!

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #746047 by Muhtiman
....they will eventually get what they have asked for.....biggest extortionists in the land.....govt folded for a SAA bail out...... ESKOM next in the QUEUE.....then TRANSNET....and so it goes....on and on....:sick:

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #746049 by wonbyamile
wonbyamile replied the topic: Eskom Eish
Not one SOE is run properly....they all just suction of taxpayers while 'management' creams it!

• Frodo
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #746064 by Frodo
Frodo replied the topic: Eskom Eish

Muhtiman wrote: ....they will eventually get what they have asked for.....biggest extortionists in the land.....govt folded for a SAA bail out...... ESKOM next in the QUEUE.....then TRANSNET....and so it goes....on and on....:sick:

Yip, but no one needs SAA - even though the new guy is making all the right noises (saying they will start turning a profit in 3 years, seems to have been closing down the leaks etc), but in the end if it is choice between bailing out ESCOM or SAA, I think the vast majority of South Africans will opt for bailing out ESCOM - much bigger impact on the economy - unfortunately the SAA bail out has already happened - so not sure how much is left for ESCOM :unsure:

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #746106 by Dave Scott
We just home everywhere in dankness
Viva ANC

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds

About A.B.C

African Betting Clan is established for the upliftment of the sports punter, who enjoys a bet on horseracing, football and other sports, enabling them to voice their views and opinions on all aspects of the sport of their choice, free of charge. Everyone who joins the CLAN, can discuss a multitude of sports events with a view to increasing the knowledge-base of all interested parties. Horse Racing is by far the most represented sport and we welcome the views of the many owners, trainers, punters and all racing stakeholders, all of whom post their contributions on our discussion forums. Members glean what they want to and discuss selections for the day and the general well being of the sport.

Get in touch

Contact Details

Main Office (HQ)
Box 40390 moreleta park, Pretoria 0044
+27 827854357

Events

March 2019
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23