Mark Sham fined

• Bob Brogan
  • Bob Brogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 months 1 week ago #780973 by Bob Brogan
Mark Sham fined was created by Bob Brogan
The National Horseracing Authority confirms that at an Inquiry held at its offices on Tuesday, 11 February 2020, Mr Mark Sham was charged with a contravention of:

Rules 72.1.25 and 72.1.26.

The particulars being that he conducted himself in an improper manner on racecourse property, which might have had the effect of discrediting horseracing and which did or might have brought into disrepute the good name of the National Horseracing Authority on 15 January 2020 at the 138th Annual General Meeting held at its offices at Turffontein Racecourse.

Mr Sham pleaded not guilty to the charge, but was found guilty of the charge.

The Board after considering the evidence led, and taking into account the arguments in aggravation and mitigation, ruled that Mr Sham be fined the sum of thirty thousand rand (R30 000) of which fifteen thousand rand (R15 000) is suspended for a period of twenty-four months, provided that Mr Sham is not found guilty of a similar offence under these Rules during this period.

Mr Sham has the right of appeal against both the finding and the penalty imposed.

Nhra.co.za

......................................................................................................................................

www.africanbettingclan.com

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 months 1 week ago #780974 by Bob Brogan
Bob Brogan on topic Mark Sham fined
See how quick they act when it’s one of their people “spoken to wrongly “

......................................................................................................................................

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 months 1 week ago #780975 by Bob Brogan
And another one

The National Horseracing Authority confirms that at an inquiry held in Johannesburg on 7 February 2020, Trainer Grant J Maroun was charged with a contravention of Rule 72.1.18 in that he addressed the Senior Handicapper of the NHA in an abusive and intimidatory manner on 29 October 2019.

Mr Maroun pleaded guilty to the charge.

The Inquiry Board found Mr Maroun guilty of the charge and imposed a penalty of a fine of R10 000-00, of which R5 000-00 is wholly suspended for a period of twenty-four (24) months, provided that during the period of suspension he is not found guilty of a contravention of Rule 72.1.18.

Mr Maroun has the Right of Appeal against the penalty imposed.

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

More
7 months 1 week ago #781015 by Over the Air
Over the Air on topic Mark Sham fined
Bob you are close to the Shams. That press release is very vague, there's no mention what Mark did at the AGM. Is there no chance of getting his side of the story?

More
7 months 1 week ago #781029 by Mark Sham
Mark Sham on topic Mark Sham fined
The charge was brought because in the AGM held in the NHA Boardroom (The Holy Grail of rooms) I showed no respect.

Mr Vee Moodley was very arrogant and intimidating throughout the meeting and after being belittled by him 3 times I finally snapped.

An advocate told him that he was not above the law...
VM replied “ don’t tell me how to run my business”
I then said “ I other words Mr Moodley , you can do as and what you please?”
VM replied “ yes I can, I am the CEO”
I said “stick your business , I can’t listen to this s**t anymore” and left the meeting

The fine is heavy because I showed disrespect to the “room”

I have appealed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Scott, PeeKay, Deeno

• Beyond The Pale
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 months 1 week ago #781038 by Beyond The Pale
Beyond The Pale on topic Mark Sham fined
Thanks for sharing Mark. Having dealt with Vee Moodley a long time ago and before he was ( somehow ) promoted to CEO I share your frustration at his sarcasm, arrogance and narcissism. Hoping your appeal is successful.

More
7 months 1 week ago #781056 by Tigershark
Tigershark on topic Mark Sham fined
Not the president nor a judge is beyond reproach when it comes to the law, Vee must rate himself much higher than that.

Very little will change until a proper clean out of the old guard is done is horse racing. The NHA needs a drastic turnaround of rules, implementation, transparency, you name it.

More
7 months 1 week ago #781065 by oscar
oscar on topic Mark Sham fined
Well the NHA is not "his" business, it is not owned by the CEO, he is an employee and a Director of the NHA. The Director cannot do whatever he wants, there are policies, and clear SOP's as regards the NHA is concerned.

More
7 months 1 week ago #781105 by neigh
neigh on topic Mark Sham fined
Its now time, not tomorrow to clean house, VM should be the first to be shown the door. Arrogance has no limits with this "overachiever" , my way or the highway. WTF is VM anyway? A humble well paid servant of the game ? :lol: :lol:

More
7 months 1 week ago #781115 by MissT
MissT on topic Mark Sham fined
Humble and his name should never be used in the same sentence. The man's arrogance is sickening. Imo he is another that needs to move on but have this nagging feeling that many of these are not going to move on their own. Whoever wields the big broom in time to come needs to sweep clean properly.

More
7 months 1 week ago #781121 by zoro
zoro on topic Mark Sham fined
When a person cannot express himself and is disrespected like Mark was, its time for the circus to move on and follow suite as the process has already begun.

More
7 months 1 week ago #781132 by Tigershark
Tigershark on topic Mark Sham fined
Where is the SOP that all hearings are recorded?

In his last case, James Goodman won a moral victory but lost his business in the process and yet no repercussions for the NHA.

The game will continue to bleed owners and punters until there is real change in the structures that administer horse racing.

More
7 months 1 week ago #781160 by Sylvester
Sylvester on topic Mark Sham fined
is it not possible for Sham to lay the same charge against Moodley ??

More
7 months 1 week ago #781161 by oscar
As regards the industry and those who run it, remember this, things take a long time to go bad, but when they do it all happens at once.

More
7 months 6 days ago #781205 by Karma
Karma on topic Mark Sham fined
Seems like even those who used to speak highly of the man have jumped ship....

Are you living your life or waiting to die?

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 months 6 days ago #781212 by Bob Brogan
Not sure anyone has jumped ship Karma

Vee was always helpful to ABC on Tote questions and betting information

In fact he was the only senior guy that we were guaranteed a direct answer from

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

More
7 months 6 days ago #781218 by oscar
The question needs to be asked, how does the NHA calculate this fine in the first place? Mark Sham has only ever spoken highly of horseracing, him and Dorrie are the most reserved people in racing, the Sham stable are always there to help people, I’ve seen other trainers ask them for bandages etc at the races, they ALL hold the Sham stable in high regard.
To me this looks like it’s become personal from the NHA side and when dishing out penalties in any business, emotions have to be taken out of the equation AND that’s assuming Mark is in fact guilty which will only be really determined at his appeal.

Sad situation this.

More
7 months 5 days ago #781321 by Tank38
Tank38 on topic Mark Sham fined
First of all Mr Sham. He showed disrespect by belittling you and being intimidating. Second of all you told him to stick his business which isn’t his and he was told by the advocate his not above the law in which he said it is his “business” unless he can show us his shares in the business otherwise his employee.
Thirdly you have freedom of speech and no one can hold you ransom in a meeting, you have every right to get up a leave if you feel intimidated. VM can’t play God and speak to people the way he wants too because his in a position to bully people. He disrespected you! where is his fine? Mr Sham, I would absolutely appeal. Not against any party here just going off what has been said. That’s not the way to act like a CEO! Its more like behavior from a thug. Trying to scare people. If this is true it’s total bull and not on! Don’t care what position you hold you treat people with respect and dignity. Otherwise you don’t know the first meaning of being a CEO.

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 months 3 days ago #781437 by Bob Brogan
Maybe Mark should have used violence, you only get 8k

The National Horseracing Authority confirms that at an Inquiry held in Durban on 14 February 2020, Trainer Frank Robinson was charged with a contravention of Rule 72.1.25, in that he conducted himself in an improper manner at Hollywoodbets Greyville Racecourse on 12 January 2020, by initiating a physical altercation with an employee of his stable.

Mr Robinson pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Inquiry Board found Mr Robinson guilty and after considering the evidence presented, he was fined R8 000, of which R4 000 is suspended for a period of two years, provided that he is not found guilty of a contravention of Rule 72.1.25 during that time.

Mr Robinson has the Right of Appeal against the finding and the penalty imposed.

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

More
7 months 3 days ago #781443 by Tank38
Tank38 on topic Mark Sham fined
4K for a left Hook....Worth it

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds

About A.B.C

African Betting Clan is established for the upliftment of the sports punter, who enjoys a bet on horse racing, football and other sports, enabling them to voice their views and opinions on all aspects of the sport of their choice, free of charge.

Learn More

Contact Details

Main Office (HQ)
Box 40390 moreleta park, Pretoria 0044
+27 827854357

Events

September 2020
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26