Re:Re:Is Charles Dickens.....

• Dave Scott
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Re: Is Charles Dickens.....

1 year 4 months ago
Charles Dickens look like a super horse.

I'm not sure if any other horse in SA won their first five consecutive races.

That's a good question 🤔
We have many threads on the site about greatest horse ever
Horse Chestnut Sea Cottage , Empress Club etc all come to mind but as far as undefeated?

I think Home Guard had best record,?
Stand under correction with no Google or search.......

However good horses are great for the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikesack
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 4 months ago
Without wanting to digress, didn't Bush Telegraph win the July keeping it's unbeaten record of about 9 wins?
Xxxcccxxxcxcxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
He lost the unbeaten record in the Pmb Sprint Smirnoff I think but won it in the boardroom with the successful objection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylvester

• bayern
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 4 months ago
Without wanting to digress, didn't Bush Telegraph win the July keeping it's unbeaten record of about 9 wins?
Xxxcccxxxcxcxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
He lost the unbeaten record in the Pmb Sprint Smirnoff I think but won it in the boardroom with the successful objection.

Be that as it may, going into the July he was "unbeaten"?
Guessing has never been widely acclaimed as a good gambling strategy.

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago
......and well done to Drakenstein for holding on to this one....as the dam seems to have peaked with this one....who can remember the highly vaunted full brother Charles .....and if I'm not mistaken a 1st foal and a sales topper at ZAR6BAR chased up by monopoly money at the time....then the other full sibling Somerset Maugham also retained by the stud.....and now 3rd time lucky back to Trippi and a more than fine specimen and far better than his siblings

.....I would like to thank a poster that is no more Warren Laird(proudly looking down) a part owner in the mare and he really rated her and although she was a multiple winner her best a gr2 win....and snapped up by Drakenstein to turn a hansom income on the very 1st produce.....the NHRA covering records show that the mare was a 1st produce from the imported mare Demanding Damsel however other sources show a prior full sibling.....go figure the original breeder starts with Dynasty and then goes backwards with a plethora of unsuited and unfashionable sires that severely stinted a quality bloodline that has produced sires like Silver Hawk and War Command.....so the prospects for this Charles to keep his nuts intact looks rather positive as a future stallion....;)

.....there is another younger sibling by Lancaster Bomber that was recently sold for ZAR1.6 BAR and her ped should also work well in the breeding shed....:unsure:
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Muhtiman. Reason: sire plural
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Scott

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 4 months ago
.....but let's not get ahead of ourselves as although he is highly rated he is no machine....still to bag a classic and prove himself where his full siblings all failed....may be ideally trip suited for the Kenilworth mile but that track can be a real spoiler even for the best of the best....and for those looking at bigger things he just may be range bound as Trippi seldom gets them any further..... unless they are in real crawler company....:unsure:

• Scorpion king
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1 year 4 months ago
we as punters and the racing public in all, needed something to get excited about and I think that this horse will do just that!!

The manner in which he made Captain Stealth , Russian Rock and Fifty Fiver look like they were looking for parking was super impressive and from stone last and hands and heals too....this is the real deal and a champ!!!....I watched this race 4 times because i thought it was very special...and as Oliver Twist said "Please, sir, I want some more"...will be looking forward to seeing him run again soon!

• Craig Eudey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 4 months ago
Dave, if my memory serves me right Home Guard won his first 11 races.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Scott, Muhtiman

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 4 months ago
......I really rated Russian Rock on his ped and got him right at 100/1 when he surprised in the Guineas....but he seems to be a real head case and has not managed to eclipse or equal that win....and there seems to be a similar problem with other of his siblings as I watched his half sister Daisy Duke again struggle with her head yesterday and subsequently run stone last...I feel that she could also be much better when young Snaith finds a solution to her oddity....perhaps a compression mask ....but she looks like she may dislike any form of headgear...:unsure: ..a pity as the genetics look sound but she cant seem to keep her head down...:S .

• jim
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1 year 4 months ago
bush telegraph won the july unbeaten. if memory serves me right he lost his unbeaten record in the mainstay todays champion stakes finishing behind main man who had finished ahead of him in the administrators at scottsville as two year olds and been turned over upstairs. that duel between main man and model man was an absolute epic

charles dickens looks good but he still has to beat caseys cousin who is already a grade one winner so dont count too many chickens yet. i will ne tuning in with great excitement and right now wont call the winner except to say should be one of them and not a roughie

• Craig Pienaar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago
My advice to anyone involved with Charles Dickens is to avoid the matchup with Cousin Casey as it is gonna end in heartbreak
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Craig Pienaar.

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 4 months ago
Dave, if my memory serves me right Home Guard won his first 11 races.
....correct and in a similar vain to that of the Charles's was the 3rd of 3 full siblings and my luckless grandfather trained the younger 2nd of the 3 out of the dam Storm Lily by Penthouse....named Storm Signal a mighty dark bay(almost black) he was hansom, headstrong and very useful but still the wrong one.....:S

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 4 months ago
My advice to anyone involved with Charles Dickens is to avoid the matchup with Cousin Casey as it is gonna end in heartbreak
.....now if you want a horse to go further then the Cousin is the one.....and the reason why Glen Kotzen honed in on this one ....is that he is closely related to Big City Life (his dam is the full sister and was also bred by Glen's mother in law) and the Cape Derby may just be more up his alley....;)

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds